by Lesley Harris Colvett
Inspiring home decor is at the tip of our fingers thanks to smartphones, BUT an interior designer is the one who can provide expertise to make it happen by pulling it all together and turning a house into your home. Working with an interior designer will not only ease the stress but will also add value to your home. Our interior designer partners advise “when and why” to hire an interior designer.
Cindy says there are several reasons you should consider hiring a designer on your next project -- either large or small. In the long run, an experienced designer can save you both time and money by helping you avoid potentially costly mistakes from project conception to completion. Additionally, you might know what you want to do but not know quite how to get there. The designer can give you a professional assessment of your proposed project and develop a detailed plan of action to accomplish your project.
An experienced designer also has the qualified contacts necessary to get the project done. Sourcing materials and furnishings from quality vendors and hiring skilled and reliable craftspeople is essential. And whether you plan on a significant remodel or purchasing a few furnishings, you will likely be making a significant investment in your home. The designer is your advisor and should guide you to make wise decisions related to this investment.
Finally, there is that intangible “wow” factor that you want. Designers conceptualize spaces and blend materials, textures, and colors into a unique vision and then make it into a reality. That's what they do. That's how they spend their time every day. If their design aesthetic strikes a chord with you, they will be able to deliver on that “wow” factor.
A. Shaw Style
2485 Parkway Place
Memphis, TN. 38112
As a designer, I get calls from people looking for guidance - either for renovation design (especially for the bathroom or kitchen) - or for full home aesthetics from paint, furniture, fabric, furniture layout, and flow. There are several things to keep in mind when hiring a designer so look for someone who:
- Understands more than one style: For instance, you may think you want a traditional home, but your Mediterranean house does not support that type of design. Instead, I like to show my clients different, unexpected views on their home that takes them outside of their "box", but keeps the design of their home within their personality.
- Avoids Trends: Trendy ideas are out of style within a year, so avoid them on large ticket items.
- Fits your needs: It is your home so you need to be happy with it.
- Listens to you and hears what you are telling them: A good designer will tell you when you are making a mistake and will correct the problem, so trust the designer's expertise.
- Keeps spending in check: A good designer should ensure sure you have not spent more money in a home than you can get out of it, and should stay within a budget.
- Has your best interest in mind.
Visit Art by Design May 8-11th to view several great designers' vignettes and enjoy the variety of design they have to offer.
Partner in Allyson James Designs
3566 Walnut Grove Rd.
Memphis, TN 38111
“Hiring an interior designer is a smart decision if you’ve invested a great deal of money into your house and want to showcase it to look its best. Whether you haven’t any idea of where to begin, have an idea but need help tying it together, or don’t have the time to do so - a designer serves that purpose,” Warner says.
Here are a few good reasons Warner offers of when and why to hire a designer:
- A designer can help you avoid costly mistakes and increase the value of your home. A designer will give you a professional assessment of your situation that will determine a plan of action. A trained set of eyes helps determine what needs to be edited as well as added.
- The designer can help you budget and save time. They know where to go for all resources related to your needs. This can save you lots of time and frustration.
- The designer is able to build bridges between you and your architect or contractor. From the start, the decorator is trained to cover details such as lighting, window placement and room size as related to furnishings...details that might be overlooked.
- Designers have many resources that are not available to the public. By using these resources your space will look more collected, unique and pulled together. The designer will give your home a distinctive look all its own. We think outside the box!
- A designer can add value to the aesthetic of your home. This will greatly enhance showing and selling it.
- A decorator is also trained to be able to tell you what is wrong with a room and how to correct it. It’s sometimes hard to look at one’s own space objectively. The designer will help you work through that problem. Interior design is a skill and an art that will enhance your space and the quality of your life in that space. Hiring a designer raises the level of that experience and makes your house a home. A designer can help you tell your visual story.
We have a special opportunity here in Memphis that showcases designers - Art by Design, a project of ArtsMemphis, that will be held May 8-12, 2019, with designer vignettes on display in the Pipkin Building. I encourage you to attend this event and see which designer you might like to hire! It really is a fascinating and beautiful display of Memphis talent.
Share When & Why to Hire an Interior Designer from 4Memphis!